Monday 14 May 2012

Hair Inspiration: Braids

I LOVE braids, plaits, whatever you want to call them. They're perfect for hiding hair in need of washing, adding a bit of visual interest, or both. To me they scream - or rather utter nonchalantly - carefree, pretty, summery effortlessness.

The combination of braids + bun is my favourite. I went for this look at a friend's garden party last week, wrapping a couple of braids around a simple high bun. It camouflaged the fact that I should have washed my hair and prevented the wind from blowing my hair into my quiche - perfect!



I also loved Kate Middleton's braid + low bun look she rocked at the 'Our Greatest Team Rises' Olympic concert last week; it was a nice change from her usual long wavy locks and showed off the back of her amazing Jenny Packham dress really well.

Image from Grazia

Here's some more of my favourite braid looks:

Braided fringe from IKnowHair

Another take on the braided bun from IKnowHair
Super cute fishtail braid from WeHeartIt
The best, longest pigtail plaits from WeHeartIt

When I went to school, my mum always used to do my hair in pigtails like the last photo, because I had the thickest, craziest hair! During reading sessions though, I'd always untie it so I could play at hairdressers with my friends, and at the end of the school day I'd run out with it sticking out everywhere and drive my mum mad!

6 comments:

  1. I want to try all those hair styles! So cute! I'm not very good at plaiting/braiding my hair but I've been practicing a Katniss style braid which I'm getting better at ^_^

    Lisamello xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Katniss has great hair! I remember reading somewhere that the hair stylist for the Hunger Games spent a fortune on dying various wigs and things to get the right hair colour for Katniss, such a crazy world of film!

      Delete
  2. Great inspiration, I need to try some of this!
    Freesia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your braided bun looks so pretty (: My hair is just slightly too short to put into a proper bun, but the second that it's long enough, I'll be attempting this haha! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ahhh I remember the last time I went to the hairdressers she chopped off just a couple of inches more hair than I'd have liked, and it was that awkward length where it doesn't stay in a ponytail or bun or anything but still gets all over your face, so frustrating!

      Delete