Thursday 23 August 2012

Shop the trend: Baroque & Roll for A/W '12

This post is a competition entry for the House of Fraser blogger style challenge.

House of Fraser (or Rackhams, as my family calls it) is the first department store I ever remember going into. We have one in my hometown, and I used to go along with my granny on a Wednesday morning during the school holidays to have a look around the clothing and homeware departments, and as a special treat I'd get a big cooked breakfast in the restaurant there! It was in their little beauty section where my mum dragged me to get my ears (unwillingly) pierced, and where I bought my first 'grownup' style purchase: a tan leather handbag. I've always preferred Rackhams to Debenhams (too busy) and John Lewis (too snooty), so I was delighted to receive an email from them asking if I'd like to take part in their blogger style challenge!

The brief: to pull together a key look for next season, using pieces from House of Fraser. I found this a really difficult challenge; there are so many aspects of so many different trends that I love for A/W this year that I've had to restrain myself quite a lot from just bunging everything altogether and going completely over the top! I've decided to tone things down slightly by going for a muted palette, adding interest with embellishments (sequins and sparkles are a key component to my wardrobe) and textures (leather and chiffon are two of my all-time favourite materials).

1: Gucci F/W 2012 // 2: Givenchy F/W 2012 // 3: Balmain F/W 2012 // 4: Dolce & Gabbana F/W 2012

My theme? Baroque & Roll. Taking inspiration from Dolce & Gabbana, Givenchy, Valentino and Gucci, I've created an outfit that encapsulates the opulence of Baroque-style prints, intricate embellishments and lavish fabrics whilst incorporating the more androgynous sleek silhouettes and leather and sheer trends.

Coat: Biba // Top: Warehouse // Clutch: Lulu Guinness // Socks: Falke // Earrings: Biba // Gloves: Dents // Shorts: Warehouse // Heels: Steve Madden
Think this has turned out with a slightly more Art Deco than Baroque vibe in regards to the print, but the effect is still there with the textures: the delicate lace top and striking leather shorts team up with the ever-so-strokeable (faux) fur coat. Knee high socks add a coquettish twist, but are definitely useful in defending one's legs against the cold winter air! Leather gloves and studs add a rock 'n' roll, fetishistic element, whilst I just couldn't help but include that amazing Lulu Guinness studded lips bag - outstanding.

Will you be buying into any of the A/W trends?


find me: Twitter // Bloglovin' // Pinterest // Etsy

4 comments:

  1. I loooove the art deco look! Love the top and that bag!! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. You can check it out on my blog if you're interested :)
    http://cofcorals.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i adoreeeeeee this look! the leather shorts are amazing! and the shoes are gorgeous!
    check out my entry here http://rockthatchicx.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/house-of-fraser-get-aw-2012-look.html
    caits xxx

    ReplyDelete